Thursday, October 23, 2014

Flowers

Our flowers have been delivered twice now.  Twice, in just a week.  I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that.  While I love that these families were given a small gift, that things are running smoothly with Reagan's Garden, that what we sought to create is happening, I'm deeply grieved.  When Reagan was born, I didn't know a single sole who had experienced stillbirth.  I have met only a handful of women since then.

I am so grateful God worked to get things put together so quickly so we could serve these two families, whoever they are and whatever their situation.  But, the statistics are heartbreaking.  At Presby Main (aka Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center), our flowers would be delivered an average of two times each week.  Sometimes three.  I don't even know what to write about that.  I am just broken for these families, remembering all to well how we felt ourselves.  The gut wrenching pain, the confusion and hurt, the disbelief, the anger.  All swirled together in one jumbled moment of despair.  And then, at the end, as you hold your child you love so much, as you share this bond so deeply profound, there is a sense of joy.  That is what we seek to celebrate.  We want to provide encouragement through the hours of labor, the pain of knowing you will never care for this little one.  But also to celebrate the joy and love you feel holding your child with something tangible and beautiful.  I pray we have already been accomplishing that, before I knew it was even happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment